On my walks around the neighborhood lately, I've become incredibly aware of this strange tendency of people to not say hello these days. Most of the time, I find myself in encounters where the other individual literally looks the other way or pretends not to notice me approaching. Most are almost taken aback by the cheerful "hello" or "good morning" I spout off as I pass.
Maybe it's not the standard these days, but I am of the persuasion that you should be friendly and give some acknowledgment of the other person's presence. For a bit, I felt awkward as the one always initiating the greeting, so I'd only say something on occasion. But now, I've made it a challenge for myself to make sure to greet everyone I pass.
Because, here's my thought: we are relational beings. The larger our cities become, the more easy it is to become anonymous... and yes, the more lonely and isolated people become. I never know what that other person is going through. They may have a huge happy family or they may not have a single soul to call their friend. I simply do not know, so why not say hello? Yeah, they may think I'm crazy or overly-friendly... but besides the requiring the tiniest bit of effort, what does it cost me to reach out in the easiest of ways?
So, what say you we start a movement of the walkers, elevator riders, coffee shop goers... you name it... who care enough to say the simplest hello? I'm willing to bet that little act can make all the difference in this crazy world.