7.07.2009

garbage bags

I came across this stat while reading this book called Cure for the Common Life today...

"American's shell out more for garbage bags than 90 of the world's 210 countries spend for everything."

I've heard similar mentions before how rich we are here in America, but this one really hit me. The fact that the amount I spend on garbage bags surpasses so many people's entire spending is a bit unbelievable to me. And, needless to say, this knowledge makes me feel quite guilty. As I sit typing this, I can look around the room and see various prices jumping out at me, most of which effortlessly put the cost of garbage bags to shame. Even the cheapest items in my room contain greater... essentially wasted... value.

In the face of stats like this one, suddenly you realize that the spending decisions we see as so minimal - the bit of ice cream or coffee drink - mean everything. Think about it. Sacrifice the cost of a meal out a week and you can feed a family for at least a whole week. SERIOUSLY? How do we hear things like that and not get worked up. It's terrible and terrific all at once - terrible that there is such an imbalance of wealth - terrific that we hold within our hands the power to totally change someone's life.

I hope every time I buy grocery bags now, I'm a bit unsettled. In fact, I hope every time I buy something I don't truly need (which really is most any purchase I make) I feel more than a bit uncomfortable. I want this line of thought to force me to reconsider, and refuse to make, unnecessary purchases throughout my life. Instead, I want I put that value towards changing someone's life. Yes, I have in my grasp the ability to change someone's life. That is an incredible honor we all hold.