7.25.2009

growing pains














My feet hurt right now. I’m not sure why either. I guess I’ve been standing with bare feet on hard floors too much recently? In any event, it feels just like the growing pains I got throughout my childhood.

When I think about growing pains, I think about how much hardship we have to go to in order to mature. Somehow I find myself expecting to grow without those periods of pain. Thus, when the hurting comes, I get thrown for a bit of a loop.

Time and time again, I find myself wishing I could fast forward through all that, to get to the part where I simply have all the character and resilience that arise from those experiences. But, I'm afraid that isn't how life works. It's precisely the aching that yields the growth. So, instead of constantly getting weighted down by the experience of aches and pains, I'm aligning my vision to see the beauty of growth.