I had the amazing opportunity to go to Mexico these past few days to visit a children's home outside of Rocky Point called Esperanza Para Los Ninos ("hope for the children"). It is home to around 25 children (and many more coming soon) whose parents are in jail or are drug abusers, alcoholics, prostitutes, etc. It was eye-opening to see the lacking conditions in which these children live. I was more astonished, however, by the incredible joy within them. We are told time and time again that true joy is not a product of current situation or circumstance. Sometimes it can be hard for us to fully digest... but each of these children are a clear example of that truth.
The experience makes me wonder how I ever complain. No matter what I'm going through, my situation in no way compares to theirs. It also makes me wonder how I can ever pretend that I don't have more to give. We cannot stop giving. Ever. Not while there are people - children like these - in real need.
Esperanza really needs a lot of help to continue on and support these children. Let me know if you want to help with their constant list of needs. Just a little bit of our money goes a heck of a long way for them, so every bit truly helps. www.esperanzachildrenshome.com