4.28.2010

the ticking clock

I'm attempting to block out the sound of the ticking clock.
As the persistent noise clamors toward the future,
I'm resisting and remaining in the present moment.
For I know, if I blink, I may miss the now -
Succumb to the ticking, and all this present beauty shall be lost.

Meanwhile, the ticking tries to bombard me with questions -
Ones I don't want to answer
Or really, ones I simply don't have answers to.
There's so much imploring about tomorrow embedded within,
When it's not yet certain whether I'll make it through today.

That constant ticking threatens to paralyze me
And replace all mobility in my limbs with frozen fear.
Or, it may send my thoughts into a flurry of panic,
Racing furiously without direction to conquer the world,
In the end, accomplishing nothing at all.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this ticking clock
As it rudely echoes throughout my mind.
But, I do know that I will continue to resist its sound and intentions.
I won't watch it steal away all I hold dear
Nor let it strip from me this present moment.