1.05.2010

resonance

When I consider 2009, I recognize that there were some solid albums released that I have thoroughly enjoyed. I will not be so bold as to post a list of the best albums of 2009, as I do not feel qualified to do so. I will present, however, a list of some of my own favorite albums released over the course of the last year. If you have not checked these albums out, it is highly recommended that you do so.

Armistice | Mute Math
This may be my very favorite album of the year. Evidently, the initial set of songs for this album was thrown out the window, and the whole process of creating this album almost led to the demise of the band. I have no idea what that first set sounded like, but I do know that the struggle paid off and those songs that made it to the album continue to blow me away. Mute Math produced an extremely solid sophomore record, and on top of that, this band certainly knows how to put on a live show.

The Resistance | Muse
It took me a moment to warm up to this album, but boy, have I warmed up to it. I mean, really, how can you beat the sweet sounds of Matthew Bellamy's voice? This album has such a rich variety in sound, yet maintains that signature Muse identity throughout. In all of my listens, "Undisclosed Desires" has probably gotten the most play time with its addicting beat. Still, the 3-track symphony that closes the album... that's tough to top, if you ask me.

Absence | Paper Route
This band was a random find for me amidst browsing online, and I'm quite glad I found them. In my mind, their sound is a bit reminiscent of Mute Math's, tending a bit more electronica with a taste of 80's pop. They layer a lot of sounds, but to me, one of the most captivating parts of the album is the raw lyrics. And, they recorded this album themselves? Props.

Horehound | Dead Weather
I'll be honest, I much prefer Jack White on guitar to drums, but that hasn't kept me from enjoying this album by his latest band. Best track, hands down, would have to be "Will There Be Enough Water?"