8.08.2012

dependence


Dependence is not a word that gets much love these days. It’s cousin independence? That’s who gets the press.

Our culture loudly esteems independence as a noble quality. To be strong and valuable is to be able to stand on our own without help from anyone else. But, within that mindset, we overlook independence’s downfall – estrangement from connection.

“One of the greatest barriers to connection is the cultural importance we place on going it alone. Somehow we’ve come to equate success with not needing anyone.” 
- Brene Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection

The truth is – I’ve fallen prey to that trap. I’ve seen myself adopt the mentality that I need to prove to myself and to others that I can do this thing called life on my own.

Yet, I’ve quickly found that’s total B.S. I do need others. I can’t do this alone. My darkest days are those where I try to do everything myself and keep life within the narrow bounds of my own control.

The best days? They’re marked by dependence and being vulnerable enough to trust others and journey closely with them.

So, I believe it’s high time we knock independence off its cultural throne and start praising the sort of dependence that cultivates connection.

[photo: maui]