2.13.2012

superpowers

Think about the last time you introduced yourself to someone. You know, the standard conversation that follows nice to meet you. What was your shpeal?

If you’re anything like me, you may completely neglect the value of introductions. I typically give some vague description of my job and perhaps mention where I’m from. I don’t really bother to highlight my strengths. And, I definitely don’t reveal any superpowers.

Superpowers?

Yep. Seth Godin’s name for those exceptional reasons why are you more than just another hand shake. He points out that if you don’t proclaim your superpowers, no one will have a clue that you have them. Thus, no one will seek you out for help and let you put those powers to use. Talk about a missed opportunity.

I've accordingly been inspired to recognize my own superpowers. Next chance at an introduction, I think I’ll try out a new description of who I am and what I do. I’ll explain – I have a distinct ability to listen and carefully ask the right questions to guide a person or organization to genuinely define themselves. From there, I love envisioning possibilities for the future, crafting strategies for authentic communication through written word and visual design.

What superpowers do you have to share?