2.28.2012

defining the harbor

Whenever I work with someone to devise a communication strategy for an organization or project, I’m always astounded that so few stop to establish a clear sense of values and goals for the brand or project. Most willingly forge ahead without a defined direction.

Why aren’t people apt to define these things? Frankly, because it’s a foreign concept to them. It’s quite likely they don’t define these big picture concepts in their personal life either.

How many people do you know that have a firm grasp of their personal strengths, passions, core values and goals?

I’m guessing only a few?

How many people do you know that are living at their full potential with high levels of fulfillment in their jobs, relationships and overall life?

Not a whole lot?

I imagine there’s a correlation.

“Our plans miscarry if they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind." - Seneca