I'm an introvert. Not just slightly, either. For anyone familiar with Myers-Briggs, I sway introversion v. extraversion 22/30.
It's not that I don't like social situations though. In fact, I love the concept of communication, and it's obviously embedded within such situations. Initially, I'm that shy person though - the one who doesn't call much attention to herself and feels a bit awkward at times. And, when I'm around extroverts, it's likely I won't even try to compete to get a word in. On the other hand, I've been told I'm a great presenter/public speaker/overall communicator.
So, I'm an introvert that loves communication. It sounds like an odd combo, I know. I questioned it myself, but then not too long ago, I got to talk to someone I respect and admire, who actually shares this combo, and that conversation has allowed me to embrace it.
In any event, this combo means that sometimes I need the push. Without it, I cling to my introvert ways. There's no telling what form the push takes, but once I get it, something magical happens, leading me into my communicating element.
All this to say to life, bring on the push...time and time again. I'll admit, I don't always like the push at first, but it is truly worth it in the end.