4.26.2009

from fallen fragments

And I sat there watching intently,
My eyes locked on to each grain of sand.
One by one they slipped effortlessly through my grasp.
All the while I pressed forth
Fighting to clench my fists ever tighter.
But the momentum of the particles
Lay outside my reign of control it seemed.
The power to make it all stop
Was beyond the determined spirit within me.

And now I wonder,
As I glance with pain upon the scattered pieces,
Is there a way to piece it all back together?
Can I return each grain to its former resting place?
Rewind through the blur of discomfort
And instead make certain it will hold fast?
Or is every trace of the beauty that once was
Truly lost forever?

I fear the latter is true
For, it wasn’t my lack of effort
That allowed each grain to so easily pass.
And, too, my persisting struggle alone
Can’t resurrect the past.
But instead of returning to some prior state,
Perhaps a flicker of possibility lies
Within those fallen fragments.
And soon, from them, a new glimmer will rise.