Although I've never written a ton of poetry, I'm trying to start writing some... mostly prose poetry with no real structure. Basically I just want to put my thoughts down on paper, whenever they spring up throughout the day. So far, it's started to take on some slight resemblance to some of the spoken word I've seen recently, except I'm not actually presenting it (or 'speaking it'). For those of you unfamiliar with spoken word, it's basically the presentation of a poem in a spoken fashion instead of song. It's pretty awesome because it captures a lot more emotion than reading it on paper would. I'm pretty sure I had no idea what it was prior to coming to Los Angeles and attending Mosaic where they use spoken word quite frequently. Anyways, expect to be seeing some of my thoughts emerging in this blog in a unique form. They will likely be rather rough and unedited. I'm hoping as a byproduct, my lyric-writing skills will improve as well. In any event, here's a start...
the present
the here and now
this is where i am
look not behind
look not ahead
live in this moment
breathe
the chains of the past
fade
the pressures of the future
gone
incredible potential embedded within
this very second
fall not behind
leap not ahead
or risk losing sight of
the here and now
and the incredible potential embedded within