7.18.2013

finding my strength again

In discussions with other coaches, several folks have shared the strengths they’ve brushed aside or had trouble owning.

Fascinating, but I don’t have one of those.

At least, that’s what I told myself. Did my denial truly run that deep? How could I be so blind to the fact that my attempts to embrace the “go with the flow” LA culture have simultaneously stripped away something so inherently me – my talent for discipline?

I realize now that the term “discipline” seemed like some effort to kindly mask “rigid” and “stick up her ass.” So, I flocked instead to an opposite extreme – unstructured living. The problem is, though it may suit some folks, it doesn’t work for me. By restricting myself of use of my strength, albeit subconsciously, I found myself feeling incredibly weak. Deprived of my natural rhythm, I felt lost.

It’s been a needed reminder – while use of one’s strengths feels good, it does take work and intention. And yes, your strengths will often make you stand out in a crowd. Despite the necessary effort and vulnerability, it’s an investment that’s entirely worthwhile. When I actively harness my talent for creating structure, I feel powerful. I’m far more productive, insightful, helpful and creative.

How ‘bout you? Which strength are you brushing aside? What does it take to pick it back up?

--
To explore your own talents more, consider using Gallup's fantastic StrengthsFinder tool.