4.10.2013

leading with my heart


In yoga the other day, the teacher told me to lead with my heart. I posture my body in a way that puts unnecessary stress on my shoulders – not a good thing. But, that’s no surprise to me. I don’t stand as tall as I should. I carry most of my stress up in my shoulders. Countless times over the years I’ve been reminded – shoulders back.  

The words of my yoga teacher, though – they penetrated much deeper. Yes, my physical body is not leading with my heart. But, the more compelling truth – that physical reality is mirrored by my emotional tendency. At times, I choose not to lead with my heart. Why? The vulnerability is freaking terrifying. I cut myself off instead of connecting. I bar myself from love because it might be imperfect; I very well could get hurt.

See, the fear in my head forgets to tell me a crucial bit about leading with your heart – there’s an upside. When you follow the way of love, you see beauty and opportunity. At every corner, there’s possibility.  Yes, the vulnerability of it all may get you burned along the way, but instead of feeling hidden, you’re alive like never before.