1.03.2013

being me


Historically, I've spent a lot of time questioning the things that are authentically me. By measuring myself against others, I've made assumptions that something's wrong with... me.

Take my introversion, for instance. I used to feel guilty on those days when I found myself thinking – Honestly, I just want to read a book by the fire and sip some tea. No, I really don’t want to engage in a bunch of surfacy conversation at a party.

Or, consider my design work. I’d pour over super clean designs, trying to mimic them carefully, wondering – Why is this so difficult? Perhaps, this whole design thing really isn’t for me.

Lately, there’s been a shift, it seems. As I’ve learned more about my personality and my talents, I’ve given myself greater permission to let my internal compass guide me. I’ve found that I don’t need to spend all my energy apologizing for lack of what simply isn’t me. The things that are most natural – the introversion, the rustic designs, the intuitive way of perceiving the world around me – each of these has value. Each is a vital piece of what makes me – uniquely me. And, I've found – it's enthralling to lovingly give myself permission to simply be me.