6.10.2012

unhurried



As I prepared for my Sunday morning ritual – my walk to the farmers market – I felt myself rushing. It was 10AM. I didn’t have to be anywhere until 4. Why the heck was I feeling so hurried?

Because, I longed to have a full list of tasks accomplished at the day’s close. I thought that would mark the day with a seal of achievement. And, with that flawed mindset, I robbed myself of the present.

See, I love walking to the farmers market. I love taking time to soak up all the sights and sounds there. And, I love returning home, taking a moment to admire the natural beauty of my selections, then reading up on the best way to store each item with care. I love patiently chopping up vegetables and closely considering how the various flavors will complement one another as I prepare my meal. But, with a hurried state of mind, I deprive myself of the beauty of those moments.

The unhurried process, on the other hand, yields far greater reward – a sense of patience, peace and joy. The deliberate process affords greater appreciation of life itself. When I pause long enough, I can see the beauty of each fleeting moment.

Perhaps, the greatest accomplishment then, is approaching each day with that unhurried sense of time.