5.09.2012

"A few weeks ago I was helping a girl in the store and I tossed a pink polka dot scarf her way. She looked at me bewildered and said, "what do I do with this?" I spouted out a few different ways she could wear the scarf, one being with a striped shirt or a floral shirt. She said "I can do that?!" all the way keeping her big eyes on the suspect: the polka dot scarf. I assured her that she can certainly mix that scarf with anything she darn well felt like mixing it with. Because really -- who is going to stop her? If she liked it, then she should wear it. Isn't that what personal style is after all?" 
-                                                           -from Kendi Everyday


The timid approach the gal in the shop takes toward personal style is more familiar to us than we realize.

In our lives and businesses, we look elsewhere for direction.

What am I allowed to say or do? What are the rules? What does the market want from me?

With that perspective, we take actions too heavily influenced by others. We begin to look a little more like everyone else and a little less like ourselves.

But, there’s a separate route to true differentiation. It’s a conversation that begins the moment you stop looking outside for direction and start allowing your own compass be your guide. And, when you let someone coach you through the process, it feels a bit like that moment you’re told the scarf can be worn absolutely any way you want.