I multi-task constantly. I think we all do. Right now, for instance, I'm typing this entry, listening to music and perusing a magazine all at once. Two different e-mail inboxes are open in the background. And that's minimal multi-tasking in my mind.
Technology in all its glory continues to push multi-tasking to the forefront of how society operates. Within this societal context, I always thought the ability to multi-task was some kind of virtue. For instance, many companies desire this trait and look for employees who are able to handle many things all at once.
Recently, however, I have come across a number of articles and ideas that have forced me to approach multitasking differently. These streams of thought have called for a lessening of time spent multi-tasking. Why? By multi-tasking we lose full appreciation for the task at hand, simply jumping from one thing to the next. Our mind never truly focuses on a single subject and our attention spans are diminished.
So, I'm trying to reduce my time spent multi-tasking and approach each task with greater appreciation for its inherent self. I know it's going to be a major challenge, but I truly do think it's worth it.