3.03.2009

the small things















It baffles me how wandering thoughts about the seemingly insignificant can keep me so restless at night. Last night, my mind became completely imprisoned by thoughts of how I may or may not have screwed up on my midterm - a clear waste of energy seeing that it has passed and, well, it is just a midterm. Generally the thoughts that keep awake have something to do with school and me being too hard on myself, maintaining some ridiculous objective of perfection.

In any event, I recognize how absurd all these concerns are, but somehow in the middle of the night or early morning hours I simply cannot shake them off. Instead, I toss and turn, angry with myself for allowing these things to get to me. Even when I try to focus on other subjects, it seems impossible to keep my thoughts from returning to these petty concerns.

The sleep deprivation that results is not pleasant, but what bothers me the most is this --- while people across the world are facing incredible hardship, I still sit here worrying about that one answer on that one test. So in the midst of it all, I'm seeking true peace and an ability to shift my meaningless, selfish worries to more well-founded, selfless concerns.